#8 Grandparents
Grandparents are wonderful. I was lucky to have both my grandparents live just blocks away. I could write volumes about both grandparents but will stick to a few special moments.
My parental grandparents I visited on Sundays. My grandpa was a very knowledgeable man especially the gospel who would call me a “purple people eater” when I wore a purple coat as a young girl. My grandma always has a smile and I wondered how she could raise that many children (11) and still have a sense of humor and good attitude. My grandmother passed away, but I am lucky to still have my grandpa.
I was very close to my maternal grandparents. I spent a lot of time with them. My grandparents raised a very large garden on the ½ acre behind my house and so much of my summer was spent at their side planting, tending, and harvesting the fruits of our labor. My grandpa always had a nickel or a stick of Wrigley’s gum for us. Grandpa’s lap was a favorite spot and he built the best tire swings. He had a great laugh and a robust hug. He taught me hard work, kindness, and humor.
My grandmother always inquired about how we were doing in school and always commented how proud she was. She writes the best birthday cards (most of which I have kept to this day) that make me feel loved and appreciated. From her I get my love of learning, my frugality, and my drive to go the extra mile.
My grandfather passed away about 10 years ago after returning from his third mission. My grandmother had, until a couple months ago, has been the epitome of health. In her 80’s she has never taken prescription drugs and took her first ibuprofen a couple months ago (this after delivery 9 children!). She is a true example of enduring to the end.
I appreciate and love my grandparents and am lucky to be their grandchild!
No comments:
Post a Comment