Tuesday, February 3, 2009

14 Things I Love

#12 Books
I am not ashamed to admit it. I love to read. I loved reading as a young child and today wish I could find more time to read.
MY favorite childhood books are The Boxcar Children (this is the original first version not the series), The Grumpus Under the Rug, The Secret Garden.
In my middle school years I read every Jack Weyland Book (Charly and Michelle & Debra were my favorites). I also discovered I loved books about the Holocaust. I read the The Diary of Anne Frank, Number the Stars, and A series of Books by Bodies Thoene. I also love adventure, survival stories like Hatchet.
My favorite type of book is what I call Historical Fiction. I loved The Work and the Glory Series. I enjoyed reading the Twilight Series and can't wait to get my hands on some more books.

Being a preschool teacher I have a children's book fettish. I have hundreds and hundreds of them. Most are for preschool but Kylie has quite the library of her own. I love Llama Llama Red Pajama, Ping, How Do I Love You?,Parts, Piggie Pie, Click Clack Moo, Cows that Type, and MANY MANY more! If you ever have a question about a book I either own it or have heard about it.

Don't tell my husband but I have been buying and saving chapter books for me to read to Kylie when she gets older. I want her to love books too. I have the Little House on the Prairies series, all the Junie B. Jones books, The Ramona the Paest series, the Ralph S. Mouse Books, The E.B. White Books (Charlotte's web, etc.) and the Patricia MacLachlan Books (Sarah Plain and tall).

Sorry this is such a long post, even I didn't realize how paasionate I am about books, but I vividly remember books read to me like Night of the Twister, Summer of the Blackberries, Bridge to Terabithia, The Giver. They all captured my imagination. I kind of think it's a shame when they turn great books into movies because kids see the movie BEFORE they read the book and it takes all the imagination and wonder out of reading. The pictures in your head can never be captured adequately by a movie.
PLEASe share some of your favorite books (any kind) with me!

5 comments:

M. Leigh Marrott said...

I love Cornelia Funke!!! Her children's books include The Princess Knight, Dragon Rider and I think Princess Pigsty (which you mentioned, but I haven't read yet). I've read quite of few of her books to my kids and we are currently working on getting through Dragon Rider. I also completely love the Inkheart series (adult/YA series). I am determined to own everything she's published.

My kids love the Magic Treehouse books. You would be surprised how young an age they can get into chapter books. We have one called, Pirate School (not a Magic Treehouse, a chapter book) and my kids loved it! I also love bedtime story collections. It's fun to let them skim through the book and pick what they want that night.

I could go on and on about books too. And I too have been collecting series with my hubby totally unaware! I'm also trying to read a lot of newer ya literature and children's chapter books to see what would be good for my kids as they get older and what is appropriate. I like the Artemis Fowl series and the new Peter Pan series. Classics are always a must though too.

Holdstocks said...

If you would sell your house that would make the house hunting process easier for us!!! If you decided in the next couple of months be sure to let me know!!!
Congrats on Baby #3 I thought you were when I saw you at the store, but I didn't want to say anything just in case. You know how embarassing that can be.

Anonymous said...

Michelle! I saw a comment from you and on Jen's blog and had to see if this was really you! Your family is so cute! I have a blog too, but it's set to private. Email me and I'll send you an invite! furnissfam5@yahoo.com

Alice

the fellers said...

I LOVED reading Jack Weyland books in middle school too...I hear he has a lot more, I should get them. I LOVE to read....Anita Stansfield is by far my favorite author right now, you should seriously try her...if you like mormon fiction books...I love Harry Potter too, I am always scared to try a new genre of book, but I always seem to love them, Twilight was great too, Have you read The Host?

Danielle said...

that's why you are so smart! :) i love books too-- wish i had as many as you though! :)