Monday, March 2, 2009

Bye Bye Bachelor

I have officially watched my last episode of The Bachelor! I have watched many a seasons as it never worked out but this season really solidified my resolve to be done with the show. I always blamed the "lack of a happily ever after" on the people involved. Most of the time I felt the Bachelors weren't looking for love but a good time with a lot of women. But I truly felt this season would be different because all involved were looking for love and really wanted to settle down.
So I am done being a Bachelor watcher for 2 reasons:
(1)The Bachelor, After the Final Rose was the meanest thing I have ever seen. Let's bring poor Melissa on stage and let her be dumped on national television! SERIOUSLY! Shame on Jason! He knows what a feels like to be rejected. I think Melissa was dead on with everything she said...especially when she said that she only wanted to be engaged once and he took that from her. Then in the same night he's making out with Molly on the same couch he broke Melissa's heart on. I like both girls and I think Jason should be happy in the end...but that was tacky!
(2) It is and always will be a flawed process. I do not believe that any married couple who says their spouse does not have flaws/shortcomings. The secret of a happy marriage is to love their strengths and their good qualities so much that those other things don't seem to matter. When you have that many people you are dating it is easy to fall in love with different qualities, because no one person will ever have EVERYTHING you think you want or need.
I think back to when I met my husband. He was really the first person I felt I couldn't live without. We were very different people, but He chose me and I chose him. Our first year together was very hard. I was overly sensitive, he was overly blunt. Some of our goals, habits, etc. didn't mesh. But over the years we have smoothed out the rough edges on each other and have come to fit together more perfectly with every passing year. I thought It would always bug me how ananlytical he was about everything. But I feel I make better decisions, and am more organized because of him. I would hope he would say I taught him compassion and sensitivity.
But how different would our courtship have been is there was always another person I liked waiting in the wing. Would our first fight or disagreement have been our last? The show is very compartmentalized. You can make out with and say one thing to one girl one day and then to another the next. In real life, this doesn't happen. So really I don't think there will ever be another happy ending on the Bachelor and I should stop watching and focus on my own!

2 comments:

Amy Hansen said...

I totally agree! i didn't know you watch the bachelor? but i am done watching it it was a joke this season.But on another note i loved this post i think it is my favorite so honest and so true!Thanks for your inspiration!

Kari Clark said...

Right on, Chel! I was totally disappointed! I personally think that Jason was just looking for some action - and apparently Melissa wanted a little more than that, any normal girl would in a relationship. But I think that I have a personal vendetta against Molly because a guy in our ward used to work with her back in Wisconsin (for real!), and he told us that she had an affair with another cowoker of theirs that was married. So if that's what Jason is looking for - he definitely got it. I too, am done with the show - Rob couldn't be happier, he hates that show.