Friday, July 17, 2009

My Name Made Me Do It

So today I read an article on msnbc.com entitled "Unusual baby names make boys bad." In the article it stated, "In Social Science Quarterly, Shippensburg University professor David Kalist says giving newborn males oddball, girly or strange first names may just help land them in jail."

In alphabetical order, the Top 10 “bad boy” names, according to Kalist, are Alec, Ernest, Garland, Ivan, Kareem, Luke, Malcolm, Preston, Tyrell and Walter.

(You all are mentally checking to see if you know anyone with these names aren't you?)

The article went on to say, "They based their report on a study of some 15,000 names given to baby boys between 1987 and 1991. They found that the more unlikely the name, the more likely a boy is to commit a delinquent act."

In writing about the Social Science Quarterly report, Time magazine pointed to a 1993 study that showed boys who have strange spellings of common first names are less likely to be upstanding and successful; a 2001 study showing that boys are judged for their moral character and masculinity by their first names; and a University of Michigan study that stated, “having an unusual first name leads to unfavorable reactions in others, which then leads to unfavorable evaluations of the self.”

I find articles like this interesting, but don't give them much credence...basically I'm glad I have girls...and wondering if there is a study about girl names?

1 comment:

Kari Clark said...

Thanks for the tip - I need to pass this along to my sister who seems to think that "different" names are the way to go.