I thought I would share with you all one of my favorite play dough recipes:
3 c flour
1 1/2 c salt
1 tbsp cream of tartar
3 tbsp pumpkin pie spice*
* (optional)I also add a little cinnamon and clove
3 c water
2 tbsp oil
(optional) red and yellow food coloring
Directions: I mix all the dry ingredients in a pot and then add all the wet ingredients. I mix it well before ever turning on the burner because the flour can really clump. When it is really smooth and runny I add my food coloring at a ratio of 2 red drops for every 3 yellow (so if you want it darker 4 red, 6 yellow, etc.)
It should look pretty runny and you'll think this should be play dough? But trust me.
Get large metal spoon and turn the burner on medium high and stir. Some of the play dough will start clumping to the spoon and sticking to the bottom...keep stirring. The parts that stick will have almost a "plasticy" texture...KEEP STIRRING!!
It will start to cook and come away from the sides into a big clump. When it doesn't have that wet, runny look to it any more (or you can't stir anymore) turn of the burner, and move it over to a different burner to cool. Let it cool for 10 minutes or so and then remove it from the pan and knead it like bread on the counter.
I love this recipe because although it is arm breaking the cooking process helps the play dough stay firmer. At the end of it you should have orange play dough that smells terrific!
I make it for preschool every year and just remind the kids that it's just to smell. It is made it natural ingredients, but I tell them it will make them sick. Some of the more daring ones will sneak a lick (lesson learned) but I've never had a child eat it!
Finally, give your kids some Halloween cookie cutters (walmart has some for cheap) and let them enjoy this holiday season.
This recipe will make probably 4-5 large handfuls of play dough. It is easy to double and you can divide it and put some in a Halloween cellophane bag, attach a cookie cutter, and give it as gifts to neighbors!
3 comments:
Hey I used to make play dough for Head Start all the time when the boys attended there. I used to have a Chocolate Playdough recipe that was to die for (at least the smell was!) And I made a cotton candy one once too. And you're right you have to keep reminding the kids not to eat it.
Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to have to make it.
Those sound great! I haven't tried the chocolate one but I should. I haven't heard of the cotton candy one, do you have it? If not I;ll try to find it online...it would be great for my 5 senses unit!
can't wait to make this for play group! i want the chocolate and cotton candy recipe to!
Post a Comment