
With Valentine's Day just around the corner I thought I would share with you a tale from my youth.
It was the night before Valentine's Day and I didn't have any Valentine's. Mom was busy. Can't remember if she had just had a baby, a stake calling or both. So she sent me with my Dad to get some valentine's. We live about 3 blocks from an Albertsons but my Dad instead took me to some store in the ghetto (down by my future middle school, Central) to pick out valentines.
Can't remember if the store was an Ocsco, a Rite Aid or what (it's changed names several times).
I found some valentine's with cute little pictures on them, my dad buys them and we head home. At home, I grab my candy hearts and the valentine's with their envelopes (remember when the valentine's came with envelopes and you spent hours choosing the right valentine and candy hearts with the "right" messages?) and get started.
Apparently something goes wrong in this process so I take a valentine into my mom and ask... What does "Te amo con todo mi corazón?" mean. Not sure of the phrase or my butchering of it but I am sure that my mom's reaction...it was not a happy one.
Ogden circa 1987 was VERY different than Ogden today in many ways...namely, no hispanic children in my school.
Long story short..or at least shorter..my mom got me new valentines, and saved me from many puzzled stares.
My dad would argue his choice in valentine's was just a little ahead of his time!
3 comments:
Michelle! You crack me up! That is so typical of a Dad! That would happen so easy! Great story! And I love the picture your student drew for you, it's so cute!
I am laughing so hard right now - that is a great story. I love your parents. It totally reminded me of V-day this year, with Hayden, I forgot to get valentines for his class party until the night before, needless to say, I can understand how something like that story could easily have happened to me. Luckily we ended up with acceptable transformer valentines that I'm sure just got thrown away within minutes anyway.
LOL!!!
Post a Comment