
So today was the dreaded day....KINDERGARTEN SHOTS!!!!
Let me give you a little background on my daughter Kylie. Sensitive and cry would be two words to explain her generally and hysterics and screaming would be words to describe her feelings about doctors.
So I decided instead of waiting until her birthday in August I would schedule her shots this month. I did this for a couple of reasons:
1) I wanted to beat the mass back-to-school I forgot my kid needed a check up and immunizations rush.
2) Her dad is a wimp and makes me take her and I wanted to do it it before my enormous belly prevented me from being able to physically restrain her.
So I do my best to prep her....we talk about what is going to happen AND I buy her a prize. I know there are parents out there who think this is part of life and you shouldn't get a prize for it, but really the snowcone maker was for me anyways :)!
So we get to the doctor and she is being VERY BRAVE while they weigh and measure her, take her blood pressure, and give her an eye test. Then the nurse informs us that the doctor likes to make sure the kids are not anemic. So Kylie totally looses it with the finger-prick. She sees the blood and wails. Lucky for us (said sarcastically) we had 40 minutes to wait before the doctor came in...just enough time to calm down. The doctor does his usual knee tapping, heart listening, say ahhhh thing and then tells us that the nurse will be in with three shots.
So 10 minutes later it is the moment of truth. The nurse has me hold her arms so she can't grab the needle. There's shot one...gasping and screaming, shot two....continuing with a mix of screaming and crying, AND.....
I am thinking where is shot three?
The nurse looks up and says we are out of our MMR shot so you will have to come back another time.
This woman is lucky that I am passive-aggressive and usually keep my emotions bottled up until I can unleash them on my husband as we talk in bed at night.
I AM FURIOUS! These are my thoughts:
What the @$#% (hell) ? Are you kidding me?!! We have been here for an hour and a half, my daughter has cried and screamed and you want me to come back??? There better not be another co-pay and you better find something that will knock her our because this is a load of *$#% (crap)! Who does the inventory in this place because they should be fired...or have to come in and listen to my doctor scream...this happened once before with Tessa but she was coming in again in 6 months so it wasn't as bad.
The only thing that saved me from going on a tirade or breaking into tears was the fact that my friend Heather was watching Tessa, because believe you me if I had been there that long with two crying kids I would have opened up a can of Pregnant Hormones on them!!!
So, as you can tell, I'M STILL REALLY UPSET AND SERIOUSLY THINKING ABOUT CHANGING DOCTORS!
So, who wants to break the news to Kylie?
9 comments:
I LOVE that you put the symbols there for the swearing, but then used the word anyway, it has a better affect! I am sorry Kylie has to go back, that is horrible, and they BETTER NOT make you pay a second co pay! Ugh, I would have lashed out for sure, you are a better person than me!
Oh Michelle--I'm so so sorry! How frustrating. I HATE shots. And I hate how routine doctors/nurses get about giving them. Good luck on the follow up! I'm like you . . . a while back we ended up being 15 minutes late for a dr. appointment and they made me reschedule. And I didn't say anything but instead I cried the whole way home . . . I hate confrontation!
So you're expecting? Congratulations! I have really meant to check your blog more often, but then I hardly ever get on my own to post . . . :) It's so good to have a way to keep in touch, though!
That is so horrible! Poor little girl. And poor you! And I have to say, I feel your pain. Ethan has an allergy that makes it so that he has to have the MMR shot at the allergist. So we had to have the first two, then go another day to the allergist, where they gave him a tiny bit of the shot, waited 45 minutes, gave him half of the shot in one leg, waited another 45 minutes, then gave him the other half. And there was no allergic reaction, which I thought was a given since he didn't react to the previous MMR. Plus I had to pay another co-pay! I am so proud of you for holding it together, although I think the pregnancy hormones give you a free pass. In fact, I am pretty sure you deserve a prize too:) Good luck with the next appt.
Chel, you're better than me - I would have unleashed. Nurses and doctors are so unsensitive about those kinds of things and totally make me mad. I wouldn't blame you for switching, I've done my share of switching doctors - it's my opinion that they better be EARNING all of the money that we are paying them - they aren't getting my money for doing a crappy job!
That's the funniest post I've ever read! Good luck getting her back in there. I know a freakin good pediatrician if you're in the market!
and that is why brandon refuses to take our boys to the doctor. I cant believe you have to go back!!!
oh you have got to be kidding me! poor kylie! :(
Holy cow. I just had to read this post because Noel Pedersen is my sister and she said it was funny. What an understatement!!! Seriously, though, you should take Noel up on the recommendation of a new pediatrician. It sounds like it's about time. Good luck with the MMR, and the new baby!
I am totally laughing because the same thing happened to me when I went to get Caden's shots. Lucky for me Caden is a boy, and very much a manly-boy. So me coming back in is not as bad as you taking Kylie in for a second time. The doctors office needs to buy the next prize for her. I am still laughing, poor Michelle.
Post a Comment