Well besides the obvious, giving me life, and the hundreds of thousands of things my mom did for me in my first 18 years of life…..and the hundreds of thousands of things she still does for, there are 3 Major Ways My Mom Change My Life.
The
first came near the end of my senior year of high school. I knew since I was little that I wanted to go
to college and become a teacher, but knowing which school to go to and how to
pay for it was a new consideration for me.
So I decided I would go to Weber State, along with many of my friends,
live at home and probably work and go to school. I had gotten a scholarship
from WSU and so it really seemed like a no brainer.
Classes
were coming to an end, the days were getting warmer, I had lots of great
friends….and yet I was unsettled. As the
school year drew to an end I had no desire to hang out with friends and I was
feeling more frustrated and unhappy…and for reasons I couldn’t explain.
I
am not sure if my mom could sense my restlessness but she suddenly started
talking about Ricks College. I knew a little about the school but really hadn’t
given it much thought. I had no money,
no car, no housing and didn’t know a soul up there. It really didn’t seem plausible. But my mom was persistent. She drove the 3 hours to take a campus
tour. We got a brochure for campus
housing and they had conveniently checked off all that were full…almost all of
them. But we decided to try the complex across from campus even though it was
listed among the “full” housing. Amazingly they had a spot. My money put down
the money for the deposit on the spot.
Do you realize how much money that is for a parent with eight kids?
I
still was not convinced. No job, no
money, no car. In short order I got a summer job and my dad found me a
car. And after getting back from a
family vacation from Lake Powell I found a letter from Ricks College offering
me two scholarships…just about enough to cover tuition. It was late in the summer…all the
scholarships should have been handed out early in the spring. I don’t know what my mother’s thoughts and
prayers were like at that time, but what I do know is she worked, fought,
prayed, and basically willed my way to Ricks College. And it totally changed my
life.
I
met one of my best friends on my first day there…she was my roommate. Several
other great friends followed. I went to
stomps, football games, dances, classes, and devotional. I had the time of my life! I played, worked, studied, prayed, and
learned in ways I could never have imagined. It’s hard to imagine how different
my life might be if I hadn’t attended Ricks College.
The
second experience happened just when I had been married just about two
years. I graduated with my Bachelor’s Degree
in Elementary Education in May 2002. My
husband received an internship with a company in Boise, Idaho. We moved up there for the summer and instead
of interviewing for teaching jobs in Utah I found myself working at the
customer service desk of an Albertsons and the child care center of a 24 Hour
Fitness…very glamorous. After the summer
we moved back to Utah and my husband continued his classes at USU while I tried
to get back interviewing for jobs. The
only problem was that there were very few jobs that year and by August all of
the positions seemed to be filled. So I
found myself working at Wal-Mart. I am
not saying there is anything wrong with working at Walmart but I had worked
tirelessly for 4 years so I could be a teacher and here I was bagging
groceries…pretty disheartening.
Well
as fate would have it my mom taught at a preschool that shared their building
with the kindergarten classes of an elementary school. Their classes were big
and a month into the school year they were looking to hire another
teacher. The only problem was that I
needed an early childhood endorsement to teach kindergarten. My mom talked,
persuaded, and convinced them to give me an interview. They decided to hire me on the condition that
I obtain my endorsement while I taught.
I was finally a TEACHER! Not only
that by I got to work with the most kind and giving fellow teachers ever. They were great mentors helping me each step
of the way, sharing their materials and lesson plans. I grew leaps and bounds as an educator in
those two years. In the process I earned
my early childhood endorsement. Upon
completion of that I realized I would only have to take 20 more credits to get
my masters degree. Thanks to my mom I
went from a Walmart bagger to a teacher with a Masters degree.
The
third experience happened just after I had my first child. My husband had graduated from school, we
bought our first home, and had started a family. Now it was time for me to go to work. During my additional coursework for my
endorsement I had met a woman who had operated a preschool for many years who
was now going back to school so she could teach kindergarten. She asked me
questions about kindergarten and I picked her brain about preschool and decided
that I wanted to start a preschool in my home.
I had the knowledge, the room, the materials, and all I needed was a
class. I advertised in the phone book,
we created a website, and my mom came down and helped me pass out a thousand
flyers. But come June I only had 3 students signed up. The doubt and stress began to creep in. I decided I better go back to teaching. As much as I loved it having my sweet
daughter changed it all. I knew exactly
what hours really good teachers worked, and the thought of leaving her for that
many hours each week crushed me. But I
went on an interview at a school close to my sister’s home. It would be close to an hour commute but my
sister would watch my daughter and I would work. I got the job teaching ½ day kindergarten but
still was not feeling good about anything.
I talked to my mom and she told me that I needed to be a preschool
teacher and work at home and that it would all work out.
Well
I turned down the teaching job and by the start of the preschool year I had two
full classes. I have taught preschool
for seven years now and love it. It has provided a good income while allowing me
to stay home with my kids. I have met so
many great kids, parents and families in my community along the way.
These
three experiences are some of the greatest accomplishments of my life and have
molded me into the person I am today…and it is all thanks to the faith, persistence
and support of my mom.
I truly believe that every mother is blessed
with a special gift to see the un-measurable potential of their child. And I only hope that I can be half the mom
she is in helping my kids make their dreams come true!
1 comment:
What a beautiful post Michelle. You have a wonderful mom. I have never met her, but from what I have heard and because you are so wonderful yourself she must be amazing!! These are awesome stories and I am so glad I was able to read them.
Post a Comment