Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day




This Mother’s Day is different than others past. This year my mom was diagnosed with uterine cancer. It was one of the most frightening times in my life. Some of my friends have had parents with cancer. Some of them have had parents that have passed away. I know I tried my best to convey my sympathy to them but I realized my words were pretty hollow and that I couldn’t truly imagine what they went through.

The night my mom told us I remember thinking “I’m not old enough to not have a mom.” Pretty selfish thought, but it’s true. My mom MEANS so much to me and DOES so much for me. The thought of never being able to call her and tell her about all the frustrating, sad, happy, and exciting things in my life crushed me. My heart ached to think that my girls would be without the grandma they adored.

We fasted and prayed as a family and we were truly blessed. My mom had a hysterectomy and they found that the cancer had intruded too far into the uterine lining and all her lymph nodes were cancer free.

I can’t explain how relieved I was. It took some time for my mom to recover from her surgery but she is doing well. It has been hard not to slip back into the routine of taking my mom for granted. She does so much and never complains, but I try to remind myself of that awful day when I imagined a world without my mother!

3 comments:

Kamal and Amber said...

Your mom is so cute! Loved this post and I totally know what you mean. It is sad that sometimes we take our moms for granted especially when we know how precious their lives can be.
PS - Sorry about Tesa's knee - hope it is healing up nicely. Those darn kids ; )

Jacqueline said...

So sorry to hear about your mom! I know how scary that is. I'm glad her prognosis is good and that she doesn't need any more surgery or treatment. Take care Michelle!

Shiree said...

Well, that is good news for your family. I sure love your mom. Cory and I LOVED being in her ward. She is just a ray of sunshine and fun!