It was my senior year during basketball tryouts. Tryouts were the last two or three days of basketball conditioning and I was feeling a lot of pressure this year. I had made the team the previous three years on hardwork and hussle but that year I wasn't sure if that would be enough to get me on the team. I ran faster, worked , and made my rebounds picture perfect.
My sister Heidi who was a sophomore was trying out as well. We were running some scrimmage games and during one of the mixed games I came down with a rebound with my elbows out and and hit my sister in the nose.
I heard it crack and I knew it was broken! I dropped to my knees with my hand over my face so everyone thought I was hurt and came to see if I was okay. I told them “I broke her nose!” I started to cry and my coach sent me to the team room to call my parents. So I called my mom and through sobs told her “I broke Heidi’s nose!”
I wasn’t the nicest sister so even though breaking her nose was purely accidental, I felt a lot of guilt!
My parents took her up to the hospital and when they got home it was time for my Volleyball Awards Night. After the season the team uses a secret ballot to vote on things like “best leader, best hitter, best defensive player, best hussle, etc.” Usually the seniors win a number of the awards and most of the seniors did…but not me! For all my effort through the whole season I didn’t win a single award!
I was devastated! It was the worse day ever!
I got no recognition from a team I had devoted 4 years of practice and play to. I was working so hard to be on a team that I wasn’t sure I wanted to be on. I broke the nose of a sister who I was already not-so-nice to, adding to my parents bills and giving my sisters a possible crooked nose!
I came home, went to my room, and cried myself to sleep!
When I woke up in the morning I found this on my dresser:
It is a piece of cardboard with jagged edges (I think he cut it out with a knife :)) and the letters are written with a red sharpie in my Dad’s squiggly writing, but it says:
“An Award to Michelle Hansen”
Best Daughter, Best Smile,
Biggest Heart, Most Thoughtful,
Best looking, Most Spiritual,
*The Best Player on the Team,
Love ya, Dad
It’s those simple everyday acts that make a daughter feel special and right then I knew my dad loved me!
I don’t know if I thanked my dad or what happened next but I still have my award and every time I look at it I feel my Dad’s love for me!
I love you Dad! Thanks for your love, support and kindness through the years! Happy Father's Day!

4 comments:
awe...that is so cute!
Thanks for sharing. That was pretty special and something to be remembered.
Made me teary i had no idea!
I love your dad, too! And I love that story. Dad's are the best.
Post a Comment