Monday, April 20, 2009

That's So Rude!

So for those of you who do not have daughters, I will let you in on a little secret that tragedy happens OFTEN in lives of females. Case in Point....
So as I picked Kylie up from preschool I saw her talking to a bunch of other girls showing them her bubble-gum pink painted nails. Apparently that was to keep her inner turmoil under control until she got in the safety of our car where she began to sob that another girl in her class had told her that her picture was "UGLY!"
The tears began to flow as I pulled verses from my mental mothers book of wisdom telling her such things as "maybe the little girl was just having a bad day," and that "I'm sure I would love her picture" (I hadn't seen it yet), and oh yes "did it really matter what the little girl said as long as she liked her picture?"

This consoling lasted about thirty minutes or so into our eating of lunch. Then she found a video to entertain her and I thought that was that.

Well when Daddy came home apparently she told him her story to which he replied (in all his fatherly wisdom) "Tell her that her picture is ugly too!"
This was all before I came within ear shot but Daddy fessed up to his, shall we say, SAGE advice and Kylie shook her head saying "I wouldn't have told her that Mom."

So tonight I pulled the "picture in question" out of her preschool bag and it is a SELF-PORTRAIT. Now my little Kylie may get her numbers mixed up or her underwear on backwards sometimes but she is a pretty good little drawer. She does very good people (none of that arms sticking out of the head crap) and her flowers are very realistic for a 4 year old ( I will post proof later)...so where does this little girl get off telling her that her picture is UGLY AND when someone tells you your self-portrait is UGLY are they knocking the artist or the subject??!! And lastly will there be other times like this when deep down I wish I could teach my daughter to dish the meanness right back instead of taking the high road?

This of course is a rhetorical question to which I already know the answer...of course, there is always the impending ugliness of those junior high years!

8 comments:

Amy Hansen said...

Who is she and where does she live? i'm not kylie's parents ...i would merely be a stranger passing by that happened to teach that little girl a lesson :) and maybe do a quick tiolet paper job Grandma Dean would totally help me too :)

the fellers said...

oh poor kylie....You are such a good mom, when I have those moments can I come to you for advice?

Heather said...

I read your blog to Eric and he would have given the same advice as Kody! It's a good thing mothers take control! Kids can be so mean. This is only the beginning!

Kari Clark said...

Kylie is so sweet, just like her mother. It's funny that we ever let Dads give any advice. I'm sure Rob would have been in Kody's boat on that one. If it weren't for sweet Moms like you, all little kids would turn out to be rude adults. Oh wait, you must have a sweet Mom, too... yep, you do.

kemp-y-QUA!! said...

what a butt head.

i bet that picture is awesome. be sure and save it for her when she is older- she will love the story some day

Danielle said...

lol... oh little girls can be mean! tell kylie to come give parke some drawing lessons! :)

Sarah and Trent said...

Hey Michelle! That just breaks my heart~ poor thing!! I'm sure she's a beautiful artist too. Your post made me laugh~ you're so funny!! :)
It scares me to death to send Rowan to school someday...

Scott and Karissa Conover said...

Oh that is such a funny story! I could see Kody saying that. LOL :)