Sunday, July 27, 2014

A Stitch in Time

It was about 12:30  and I was dead asleep while Kody was still working in his office. All of a sudden I could hear him yelling upstairs "What happened?"  When I got out of bed I could hear Mallory crying hysterically upstairs.  That was unusual because she usually comes down to our room if her legs hurt or she has bad dreams.
So I went upstairs to see what was wrong. I didn't turn on the light and wake up Tessa but I could see Mallory standing by her bed. So I had her lay down with me on her bed and try to figure out what was wrong.  She was crying so hard I could hardly understand her. At first I thought she said her tummy her but when she calmed down enough she said her mouth hurt. In the dark I could see a dark spot below her lip. I rushed her into the bathroom where I could finally see blood. 
I took her down for Kody to take a look and tried to figure out what she had done.  At first she said she cut it on her doggy purse and then she said she might have bit it in her sleep.  It didn't bleed more than in the picture but it was definitely cut all the way through.  Our after hour clinic is only open until 9pm so we had to head up to the emergency room.
We got there and they got us back pretty quickly.  We really didn't know how she did it but the doctor said it looked like her tooth went through it so my only thought is she fell out of bed and hit her mouth on her bed or her blanket chest.   Mallory was nervous when we got up there so we said a little prayer. She was soooo brave! They cleaned it up and did some local numbing before giving her a shot with more numbing stuff.  Before Nurse Kate was going to suture it another nurse poked her head in to see if she would need to hold her down or put her in a papoose board but I just held her hand and she held perfectly still.

Three stitches and 2 1/2  hours later we were on our way home with a rootbeer slushy.  The cut was straight (no jagged edges) and luckily fell under her lip line.  It was an exciting month for this girl who got her tonsils out a couple weeks before and then got her kindergarten shots two days later.  What a tough five year old!!

No comments: