Thursday, March 29, 2012

Rodent Bones and Butt Crystals

Don't you just love the blogpost title...great name for a rock band don't you think?
Well this post isn't about hard rock at all...it's about those times when your kids tell you something DEVASTATING and you have to try hard not to laugh.
It happened the other day when I picked Kylie up from school. I asked her the usual, "How was school today?" She replied, "GREAT!" and proceeded to tell me how one of her classmate's dad had came and they got to find bones in scat.
Well I taught in the public school system and so I knew exactly what she was talking about. Apparently it is super cool to let 2nd graders dissect owl poop (scat) to find the bones of rodents they have eaten. She showed me a little baggie of grossness but I really didn't look too hard because I was disgusted...I mean driving.
Then she went on to tell me how they "made crystals." Wasn't sure if they made, them found them or what. I didn't have time to inquire into the crystal mystery because Kylie went on to tell me that a boy in her class said one of her crystals looked like a "butt."
I told her boys are gross and they just like to say inappropriate things. She said she thought the crystal looked like two eyes but then the rest of her classmates confirmed that her crystal looked like a derriere.
Well that was the end of the story as we headed into a store to run errands.
Later that night, after Kylie was in bed, I saw that both the bones and the crystal bags were laying on the table. I went over myself to inspect. The rodent bones were in fact disgusting...if you look close you can see a little jaw bone with teeth...gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Then I found myself laughing because in rummaging through the bag of crystals I found the above-mentioned crystal...
AND it does indeed look like a BUTT!
BUTT don't tell Kylie :)

1 comment:

Kari Clark said...

That post made me laugh so hard. And now that I know Kylie, (and all of the cute, funny faces that she makes) it makes it even funnier. Thanks for posting that, it made my day!